Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Valencia 846B foam grille question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member robertbartsch's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 21st, 2009
    Posts
    166
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Valencia 846B foam grille question

    I bought some factory Velencia 846B cabs recently that are in need of restoration.

    The factory foam grilles are missing but the cabs do have the factory removable baffle plates that are secured against the cab using factory velcrow strips. These factory baffle plates are 1/4 inch thick, have cutouts for the woofer, horn and bass ports, are covered in a open weave cloth and are painted black.

    I recently found some new replacement foams grilles for sale that are similar to the originals.

    Question: How do the new foam grilles attach to the factory removable baffle plates? From the inspection of the factory baffle plates, it appears the original factory foam grilles were attached to the baffle plates using glue.

    Anyway, is this correct; if yes, what type of glue is used? It is possible that the foam grilles are not attached to the baffle plates, but mearly sit inside the cabs but I'm not sure.

    Thx.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member Mustang Marvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 3rd, 2009
    Location
    Trussville, Alabama
    Posts
    209
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Valencia 846B foam grille question

    I bought my 846B Valencias new in 1975. They had the foam grills you speak of. After about 10 years they deteriorated so badly I had to remove the foam grills. They were in fact glued on 1/4" masonite frames. I replaced the foam grills with black acoustic cloth. I know of no one supplying replacement foam grills. I think they sound better with them off anyway.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member robertbartsch's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 21st, 2009
    Posts
    166
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Valencia 846B foam grille question

    Marv:
    ...So you built a wood frame around the factory baffle plates and covered them with standard speaker cloth?

    I was thinking of doing that but I do like the original factory foam look.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Mustang Marvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 3rd, 2009
    Location
    Trussville, Alabama
    Posts
    209
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Valencia 846B foam grille question

    Quote Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post
    Marv:
    ...So you built a wood frame around the factory baffle plates and covered them with standard speaker cloth?

    I was thinking of doing that but I do like the original factory foam look.
    The foam came off the original 1/4 inch masonite backing very easily. I removed the remainder and stretched the cloth over the masonite. I then used 1 inch square pieces of card board and stapled them on the back to secure the cloth. The original velcro pieces stayed in place. This has remained in good order for more than 20 years.

    The original foam did look good, but didn't last. It actually came off in fine pieces. Much like black sand on the floor. I don't think I would go back to the foam even if it was available. But in your case I have heard of someone that is making the foam grills for the Model 19. I don't know if they make them for the Valencias but, you could give them a call. I don't recall their name or number, but someone may jump in and give it. Or, you could search for the thread. Sorry I can't be more help...

  5. #5
    Inactive Member robertbartsch's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 21st, 2009
    Posts
    166
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Valencia 846B foam grille question

    OK, thanks.

    My first pair of VOTT was a Heathkit 101 with 416a and 806, 811 components. Compared to the Valencia 846B cabs, the 101s were more friendly to the eyes. However, the boxes were not constructed as well and at high SPLs, they vibrated a bunch.

    In comparision, the 846B cabs are a tad drab being very boxie looking. But the cabs are much stronger and do not exhibit vibration at higher SPLs. Part of this relates to the large cross bar brase on the back cover and non-removable rear back plate.

    Anyway, since the 846Bs are kinda drab looking, I think I may go with the foam grilles in
    royal blue which was a factory color, I believe.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Valencia 846B foam grille question

    Oh really?! I thought that was strictly a JBL grill color during that time, at least I only recall seeing it on JBLs..........

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Valencia 846B foam grille question

    Quote Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post
    Question: How do the new foam grilles attach to the factory removable baffle plates?
    3M Super 77 Multipurpose Spray Adhesive: strong-bonding, fast-drying glue that you just spray on. Think it up, glue it down!

    Our plant would have had to shut down in later years without this glue and no self respecting DIYer should ever be without it IMNSHO.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member robertbartsch's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 21st, 2009
    Posts
    166
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Valencia 846B foam grille question

    Yeh, I have used contact cement and a warm iron for most of my speaker cloth and grille rebuilds.

    With this method, you can tack it down over 100% of the frame and then pull it up in sections and stretch it tight and then fasten it again with some more heat. I thought the contact cement method was used most often by the factories.

    Anyway, I think I will try the foam replacement this time.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.